Monday, February 19, 2018

Musical upending

It took sixteen years, but Moulin Rouge! has been bumped as my favorite musical.

I was raised on musicals. My mother watched them all the time in my childhood. Not just musicals, but a lot of older movies (that aren't musicals) are still filled with singing. It's a wonder I can't hold a note.

Anyway, The Greatest Showman now holds the #1 spot

Back when Moulin Rouge! was released, I was a young, idealistic boy, in love with a girl I couldn't have, far from home and convinced he was a writer. (I still think I am). I seemed to mirror Ewan McGregor's character in that sense. Currently, I'm a married man with children, not to far from his hometown. Hugh Jackman's character in Greatest Showman is, as it seems, my current mirror.

Makes me wonder if, in sixteen years, another musical about a grandfather will be released.

No comments: