Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The beard

It started with sheer laziness. I just didn't want to shave that morning. Or the next. Or the next. My employer doesn't care (100% backend work, and it doesn't impede my work), so that was never an issue. It started to get a bit long.

Then it got cold out. That bitter chill that gets worse with a sharp wind. I have to go outside more often than I realize when it gets that kind of cold out. This beard started earning its keep that day.

Then my wife started to 'voice' her approval. She would prefer a goatee (I've had beards in the past), but I simply can't stand the look of one. I'm not sure there's anything the world could toss at me that would make me want to keep one.

But now, there's nothing that seems to be helping this facial hair. It's coarse, very coarse. I was able to keep it a bit softer with various products, but currently no oil or balm can get to it. It feels like I have sharp bristles hanging off my chin.

I'd like to keep it just up through my wife's birthday, but these past two weeks are pushing it. My own face should not be distracting me throughout the day.

No comments: