Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Merry [update pending]

I'm giving the gift of video games to my kids (and a little to myself, not gonna lie), but after years of seeing people complain on social media about updates and patches taking forever, I realized that letting the kids do the unboxing was downright irresponsible.

The console was already in regular use, so after the kids went to bed (and well after we knew they were asleep), I took the games one by one and put them in the system, downloading update after update. Each took little over an hour, but that was normal for how many updates were needed (they weren't the newest games to begin with, but my kids have a taste for this kind of thing).

The update servers are looking at their calendars, knowing full well that they can't do anything about the digital onslaught rushing across the web. Thousands of unsuspecting recipients will plug in their new Xboxes and Playstations, unwrap their new games and

connecting to download server. update pending. 0%.... 1%... time to finish approx 5hours 43minutes

Those update servers get slammed like a screen door in a hurricane every Christmas morning. The past few nights I've been *playing* those games, making sure I had everything ready.

Mostly because I don't want to hear them complaining about it.

No comments: