Wednesday, November 23, 2022

The Tube

Digging through my YouTube, I realized I was still subscribed to nearly two dozen dead channels. Meanwhile my recommended videos are all based on the weird stuff I've been digging up for the kids. 

Many years ago, I used YouTube to find new music. Independent creators with few outlets still use it to showcase their talent, and you don't even need to know how to play any musical instruments; you need only to know what you want it to sound like, and the patience to use any of the many digital tools available.

The result is a lot of musicians out there that don't pander to the lowest common denominator, and my musical tastebuds were always satisfied. 

However...

In the intervening years, the algorithm has changed, and my kids would ask me to find things for them. The result is that it thinks I want to see politics and gameplay videos. I don't even know how to massage the system to get my old feed back.

No comments: