Monday, April 17, 2023

The old ones

Alright, the internet is just so convenient, but at the same time it's designed to funnel everyone into about five different web sites, then pummel them with ads. It's insidious. 

I miss the old internet.

Go back, before social media, before upvotes and user generated content. When you wanted to use the internet, you had to have some manner of skill, a degree of tech literacy. If you wanted to put something on it, you needed even more skill. It was an entry exam: you must be this tall to ride, and the content and discourse showed it. 

Perhaps I've become a snob, but when you look at the level of discourse online you quickly see that perhaps not everyone should have their voice amplified.

Perhaps I'm just nostalgic. Honestly sometimes I find myself chasing that high from my early days, when I went from a small town outside a swamp in upstate New York, and found the entire world on my desk.

No comments: