Friday, December 31, 2010

With a bang

Star Wars wasn't really a good way of describing how reality works anyway.

Meh

Staying with my family is an interesting mixture of pleasant and overwhelmingly frustrating. I get along with everyone in my family fairly well, which is a plus. That and their kids are all older than mine, so they surprise me with things like speech, toilet usage, and moderate competency.

My cars front bumper was falling off. You know, the thing that holds the license plate that New York requires on both ends of the car. My dad tends to fix things like this easily, and I hate the idea of blowing a fortune on what I think is a technicality. So he takes the car. Normally, his fixes involve a few hours and a few bucks. It's pretty much what I was expecting. This time, not so much. Now the car is gone for a week, both delaying my trip home, and forcing me (+wife and 2 kids) to rely on borrowing a car from my sister.

Thanks. The big delay? Waiting for the paint to set. Paint?! I don't care if it matches or if it's lime green (which might make it easier to spot in a parking lot, Saturns are pretty common) I just want the dumb car. I'm back in my home town and I'm stuck in the house the entire time.

Short of borrowing a car.

Christmas was nice. It usually is, but I find myself more and more awkward with it every year. I'm waiting for science to "accidentally" create a virus that causes me to miss the awkward parts, but be there for the nice ones. Until then, I make do... somehow.

All of this past fall I kept wishing I was still back at that cabin.

No comments: