Monday, July 30, 2018

40,000 men and women every day

So the current flavor of social media has a section where you can see things that were posted on this day last year, 2 years ago, etc. Most of the time it's fairly benign, often nostalgic, sometimes a good solid memory.

Sometimes it tells you that people are dead.

Not directly, no. I found one such memory from just a few years ago, discussing my move out of Buffalo. Turns out one such conversant was now a memorial page.

I can't tell you how surreal it is to think about the people I personally know that are now dead. There was a wave of funerals in my early 20's, but they were elderly and infirm relatives. Then there was the tragic cancer case (She was only 27) then what seemed like nothing.

Turns out they've all been dying and I had no idea. My 20 year high school reunion last week had a memorial table that was too full for my comfort. Quick google research tells me that 95% of people born in my birth year are still alive.

...dang.

No comments: