Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Camp rain

So every year I take my older boys out camping. This year was the first for my 3rd son. Now there's a bit of an age gap between 2 and 3, so he's a few steps behind his brothers. This shows in their interactions, how they play, etc. I was ready to mitigate the differences to make it a smoother trip for everyone...

But I didn't need to. The differences that cause conflict were still present, but they worked with each other and set them aside. I suppose driving rain on our arrival and a scary night can do that.

You know how raindrops sound very irregular when they're falling through tree leaves? Imagine that on the metal roof of our cabin (so glad I got the cabin this year). To my sons, it was weird and scary. I knew exactly what it was and I kinda liked it, but they were put off by it.

I need to foster more situations like this. Shared misery is apparently a good thing.

No comments: