Sunday, November 17, 2019

Rakes, shoots, and leaves

I have this massive tree in my backyard, and I do mean massive. It's easily twice the height of my house, with a canopy that reaches over the fence on both sides, and covers half the length. It's a maple tree, so the leaves are broad enough (and the branches thick enough) to create an impressive shade for my back yard.

Until the turn of the season.

It's one of those trees that likes to hang on until the bitter end. Or rather, the bitter cold. When the leaves finally do fall, it's nearly all at once, and so cold out that it's almost snowing. It gets windy, but that's no help. The fence surrounding my yard is chain link (came with the house, definitely not my choice), so when the wind blows, they all clump up along the side of the yard along the fence.

Enter the big mower.

My eldest son takes care of the yard while I'm at work, but I take care of my grandfather's yard next door. I have a small push mower (and a narrow yard). My grandfather has a large riding mower. With everything lined up, I just need one pass and it turns to a fine mist, blowing away in the wind.

I hate gathering leaves.

No comments: