Monday, February 3, 2020

The unwatchable

My kids were going to watch a movie tonight. Each of the boys powered over each other with the remote to find whatever action packed cartoon filled with robot dinosaurs exploding would sate their age-appropriate needs.

Then my daughter softly said that it was her turn to pick the movie. They all stopped and recounted recent history, taking notes as to what was watched on what day. They all came to the same conclusion: she was right. With no hesitation, one of them helped her navigate the menu to find the subcategory that contained Barbie movies, then selected the one (per her instruction) about mermaids or something.

I could see it in their eyes. It clearly wasn't their first, second... (how high can I count here?) choice. They were clearly disappointed, but didn't mutter a word against their sister. They decided to suck it up and see how well (or not) put together the movie was.

When I saw this play out, I realized that the TV truce is more of a well-written treaty they all closely adhere to.

No comments: