Thursday, October 15, 2020

Video recommendations

 A good while ago, I used YouTube to find music. Whatever garbage was being promoted was exactly that: refuse that should afflict the ears of no one. I found a few good songs, which led to a few good playlists, and soon the algorithm was sending me down a rabbit hole of endless new music.

Then I had to look up a few videos on other topics. DIY stuff so I could do things like fix a dryer, etc. Not long after I began looking up things I could show my kids (like when they ask how stuff works, and a verbal explanation just won't work. This is the kind of stuff I wished I had as a kid).

It didn't take long for the rabbit hole to be cemented over with an eviction notice. Since then it's taken longer to remind YouTube that what I want is music. I notice they now have different categories I can select for my 'recommendations', but honestly I should have just used a separate account and left it alone.

No comments: