Wednesday, June 23, 2021

The end of the school year

New York State has a problem. Ok, that's not a fair way to start, because this state has a lot of problems, but today one of them in particular is bothering me.

The school year ends at the end of June, AFTER SUMMER HAS STARTED.

You see, the last day of school for my kids is tomorrow. (Technically it's Friday, but they're still fully remote, and the school wants the Chromebooks and iPad back tomorrow, so that's a wrap) Summer, meanwhile, started on Sunday. Why the overlords in Albany hold our kids hostage for so late in the year is beyond me.

"BUt tHE kidS NeEd ThE EdUcAtionaL tIme"

Then stop giving them a week off in February. And since we know you pad the time because of anticipated snow days (yea, it snows up here), we can trim the fat there, too. Snow day? Make 'em remote days. There, we can clip the last two useless weeks off. The kids aren't doing any learning. The high school kids finished their finals, and everyone else is just having parties, theme days, and watching movies. It was that way when I was growing up out here, and I see the same thing is happening with my own kids.

End the madness already.


No comments: