Wednesday, December 8, 2021

It sumps as it pumps

So.... the house again. This time, as I was going through my basement, I heard the unmistakable sound of the sump pump. At first I ignored it, until I realized the sound wasn't stopping.

The sump well was dry, but the pump was still going, and going hard. I tried triggering the switch to see if something was stuck, but it was not. I cut the power and let it cool off, but the problem persisted. It pumped, so that wasn't an issue, but the motor was going to burn out if this kept up.

A Christmas light timer makes a wonderful stop-gap measure until the issue is resolved.

So anyway, after realizing that fixing the switch inside the pump was impossible without taking the entire casing apart (and breaking the thing, because it's 50 years old and covered in barnacles), I just got a new one.

This house keeps testing me.



No comments: