Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Power corrupted

My desktop computer developed a strange, almost squeaking sound. A light squeal that would crop up every so often. Load up any particular program and it would squeal at me for a little bit, then stop. An intermittent noise that I never could pin down. 

I couldn't run some software because it would be non stop, and it would drive me crazy. Other applications wouldn't trigger it at all. I could find no pattern to this. High or low CPU usage, GPU, RAM use, it vexed me. Then about a week ago, the noise started again, but this time it didn't stop.

This didn't drive me as crazy as you might think: my office is in the basement, and I don't do much down there in the winter. It's cold down there.

I started looking at what components were replaced and when, checking the date stamps on this desktop of Theseus. I realized the power supply was a bit dated. And it was right at the limit for what I'd been running lately. Sticking my head into a computer case that's currently on isn't generally recommended, but it did the job. 

Replacing the power supply not only fixed it, but I realized just how acclimated I'd become to that noise. It was so subtle at first, so intermittent, it was easily ignored. My ears had become the frog in a pot. I didn't realize I had turned it on it was so quiet.

No comments: