Monday, February 21, 2022

Like flies

Social media, as much as it has its issues, does a great job of spreading bad news. This time, it was another high school classmate dying. There were around 400 or so in my graduating class, so I didn't know everyone, but it's become an interesting barometer. I've reflected on it more than once in this blog, but it always hits me.

Around when I got married was the time when all my friends were getting married and having kids. (I'm normally hype averse, tending to buck trends, but I couldn't let this gal go). Not long ago I was speaking with someone I've known a long time (she's around my parents age) about that, and how now all my friends are getting divorced*.

Her reply? "It's not that bad. I'm at an age where all my friends are dying"

I'll take it.



*it's not that anyone really announces it, but when you get a wedding announcement for someone you thought was already married, it tells a story. Same thing when a girl does the social media scrub, all while bragging about how much stuff she's doing 'all on her own'.

No comments: