Monday, February 7, 2022

Pre blizzard jitters

Once again, they were calling for a big snowstorm. Once again, I'll believe it when I see it. Here's what happens: the 100% chance of snow at 8 gets pushed to a 95% chance at 9, then a 90% chance at 10, until nothing happens. That describes 9 out of 10 EVERYBODY PANIC IT'S GONNA BLIZZARD snowstorms we get around here.

It was going to start Thursday night. At 8:15, I got a notice that school the next day was cancelled. I looked out the window and saw... nothing. It wasn't snowing at all. I won't say it was the wrong decision, because by morning there was a fresh 10 inches on the ground and apparently it came down fast enough that the plows weren't able to keep up.

I maintain a strict "believe it when I see it" attitude when it comes to the weather, and I suffer from a huge case of hype aversion, so it drives me irrationally crazy when the panicky crowd is right.

No comments: