Sunday, August 16, 2026

Quiet weekish

This week my boys are at camp, all three of them. My twentieth wedding anniversary is next week, but we figured this was the week for it. My sister agreed to host our daughter for the duration while the boys are at camp, so this was the week the wife and I decided to skip town.

She wanted to go to the Adirondacks. I found us a nice hotel on Lake Flower that has kayaks and canoes the guests can use whenever they like. She found three easy hikes, and we filled the rest of the time with, well, whatever we wanted. 

I joked that I would wake up to find her already out on the lake. She didn't believe me, but one morning I woke up to find her missing. The lake had this thick fog over it, and I saw her kayak slipping into the mist, disappearing for a good long while. Later, she quietly admitted I knew her better than she thought.

Well, it has been twenty years.

The hikes were, like I said, easy. Easy for me, anyway. I've been working my way through the 46 high peaks, and those bottom out at 4 hours or 5 miles. These took around an hour and were maybe a mile. Of course, going out onto the water isn't my thing either. We have a lot of separate interests, more than we have together. But you learn to work with it over the years. 

Maybe that's how we've managed this long. 

No comments: