Sunday, October 14, 2018

The beard

A few years ago, I got lazy and just grew out a beard. My wife, without saying much, loved it.

She didn't do much either. I had no idea.

I've grown it out every so often since then, but never for very long. A couple of weeks at most. However in my age it seems to have changed. Now there's a grey patch right on my chin. Now the beard alone adds 10 years to my face, but they grey adds another 5. I'm at a part of my life where I don't *want* to look older. Then the hair itself simply wasn't soft anymore. Top of my head - baby smooth. Face - iron bristles.

A friend hosted a murder mystery event the other night. Costumes encouraged. I grew out a beard for awhile for the costume. Put on a pair of old glasses sans lenses. Got some clothes I haven't worn in forever. It was awesome.

I shaved this morning. My daughter took a second recognizing me. I could feel my wife's sorrow.

No comments: