Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Sumpy pumpy

I was obliged to unplug my sump pump for a day.

It's ok, it literally never gets wet in my basement.

Anyway, at the end of that one day, I noticed that the sump basin was full. Like full full. Turns out I have some wacky plumbing. I find out that my washing machine and utility sink both drain into the sump basin, which then gets pumped straight outside.

No bueno.

I plug in the sump pump and consider my plumbing options. Some time later, I realize it hasn't turned off yet. I figure it has a lot to do. I leave.

I come back later, it's still going. I pulled the cap off to find it completely dry, but a cap that normally comes with a bottle of laundry detergent is jamming the float valve.

I don't use those. I never have. It's been in there since I bought the place. I figure it was in the basin, but high enough to just sit around. When it filled up, it floated down until it got jammed in the floater.

My house is a cobbled together mess of uncertainty.

No comments: