Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The very windy day

So this massive tree sits in my backyard. Its canopy covers half the length of the yard, while totally eclipsing the width (it hangs over the fence on each side. My yard is much longer than it is wide). It's not like the other trees in the neighborhood: they drop their leaves much earlier. My tree is a stubborn one, refusing to let them go when it's light enough out for me to deal with them. When it's warm enough.

Early last week it gave up. Within three days it went from a tree full of dead leaves, to naked. The yard was covered in a thick blanket of ecological refuse. There it sat all week as my limited motivation was further hampered by my children wanting to play in it.

Spoiler alert: they didn't.

Then came the wind. The furious howling wind. I watched in awe as no massive branches dropped from the tree (happens any time it's even slightly gusty, so this was really strange), and then the leaves were entirely shoved across the lawn.

This is where having a chain link fence kinda sucks. Those leaves would have been entirely gone. Instead, I have an entire tree's worth of leaves crammed into one corner, piled almost as high as the fence.

...I hate yard work. Now it's as ugly as it was annoying.

No comments: