Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Ode to last year

Since my dear wife has a birthday only once every four years, she has a lot of time to plan ahead, and a lot of clout when it comes to that day.

Last year, at the end of February 2020, we went to the Great Wolf Lodge in Pocono Mountains PA. A great big indoor water park in the dead of winter. The boys ran off and did their own thing, and my daughter was tall enough to ride, but short enough that she needed an adult. I made sure to teach her that she had to scream full volume every time she entered a tunnel. I regret nothing.

I'm surprised that I didn't mention it in my blog last year, it was quite the event. Though at the time I was somewhat distracted. An impending plague loomed on the horizon. It hadn't reached home by then. During lunch that day, I mentioned the absurdity of being at a water park in the winter. (They had these giant windows lining the walls, I would walk by with an inner tube as the snow piled up a mere arms length away) My wife, in a moment of foreshadowing, mentioned that we may not be able to go in the summer.

The local pools weren't even open this past summer.

I look at pictures from that day. Crowds of people, visible smiles, and no plastic barriers separating everyone. It all feels like another world. I hate what's become of us.

No comments: