Thursday, March 17, 2022

Holiday contrarian

I like the holidays where you get the day off work. I don't work retail, so I actually get those (hey, I suffered enough working in hotels). For the other, random holidays, there is always a color.

Valentines day red, St Patricks day green, the orange and black of Halloween, I could go on. Or not, I think that covers it. Whatever.

I have my work clothes. I don't wear just my regular clothes, not with the various substances that might otherwise ruin them. I had a weeks worth of shirts that were, after a few years, wearing down. So I found a new shirt on Amazon. The look suited me, so I bought one.

Then I just bought four more. I didn't like having to pick what to wear, so I figured I'd just wear the exact same thing to work every day. Lots of people do it. It's been a few months and it's been working exactly as I expected. But this week, I discovered a problem.

The shirts are green. 

Now that's not normally a problem, but I'm a contrarian. I deliberately don't wear the holiday color, but it's never obvious. I had a red shirt, but never wore it on Valentines day. When asked why I didn't, I would always look at my shirt and give a noncommittal shrug. 

But St Patrick's day requires green. At this point, I've been wearing the same green shirt every day for several months. If I wore the same shirt, I would break my streak of non commitment. Otherwise, I could dig out one of my older shirts and be the contrarian I always was, but it wouldn't be subtle. No, it would be glaringly obvious. 

I backed myself into a corner. No matter what I did, my coworkers had something on me. I took the high road, wore the green shirt, and just laughed at myself when they brought it up.

No comments: