Saturday, May 28, 2022

At odds

Throughout my life I've heard the phrase "My desire to stay sane is at odds with my desire to stay informed". When I was younger it didn't make sense, but when things started going crazy, I *had* to stay on top of things. I needed to be ahead of the curve. 

Not for myself, I have kids. If the world is going crazy, I need to make sure I'm ready for it. When people started panicking as the Covid shutdowns began, I wasn't worried because I already had extra food in my house. But things kept getting worse. The story kept shifting. (I could go on at length about that, but... not now)

I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to realize what that phrase really meant. I realized I had to shut out nearly all of the hype, stop doomscrolling, and simply be prepared for literally anything. I realized I can be slightly insane and a lot happier at the same time.

No comments: