Monday, August 21, 2023

Driest week ever

So I got home today and the water was back on, where it could anyway. Both bathrooms are still demolished, but they capped off the water lines and turned it back on, so I have running water in my kitchen and laundry room. They also did the work replacing the valve and toilet downstairs (yes, I have a toilet in the basement. It sits in a small closet with no door - only a curtain, but the valve always leaked so it was always shut off) so we at least have one functioning toilet in the house.

I have a constant compulsion to wash my hands. After I do anything I, at the bare minimum, rinse them off with clean water. Baby wipes are a cheap consolation prize, but better than nothing.

I have never wanted to spend my day at work so much in my life.

Having the basement plumbing redone was a long time coming. The soil pipe, which went straight up through both bathrooms (adjacent to the kitchen) and through the roof. It was cast iron, and had been punctured when people tried installing things onto the walls. In the basement, they covered rust with duct tape and painted over it. (The home inspector said it was sound, but to have the whole thing replaced the first time I did any work on the plumbing) The previous owner, when they redid the kitchen, put the old kitchen counter and sink in the laundry room. First thing I did was pull that garbage out, but the pipes were all over the walls. The pipes also clanked like crazy when I did the laundry. The utility sink was a small cheap flimsy piece of nonsense that was on the wrong side of the room entirely.

But today the basement portion of this remodel is done. Which puts my backup toilet in service, so we don't have to hike next door to my grandfather's house for that.

First world problems.

Now we wait for the showers to be installed. Having been torn out to the studs and joists was going to make it a longer project, but the fact that there was never a tub upstairs meant they had to add all the pipes in themselves, making it take even longer.

But having only one shower with four kids this close in age is gonna suck.

No comments: