Monday, August 24, 2026

Lonely dentist

Storytime:
Many years ago, when my company was very small, so many employees would take off the week of the New York State Fair that we didn't have anyone left to open the doors for. This happened until we just decided to shut down that week. Now the fair starts half a week earlier, and we have more than twice as many employees, but we still close down for the week before Labor Day. There's no fancy title for this, we just call it 'shutdown'. 

Honestly, it's the only way the boss can take a vacation. Even when he's on vacation, he's worried about what's happening here. When nothing is happening here, he has nothing to worry about.

Six months ago, my wife scheduled our next dentist appointment on her way out. Not that I can't do it, but I'm always the last one in the chair so she's doing it before I get the chance. On *my* way out, I find that she scheduled it for the last week in August. No way was I going to the dentist during free time, oh no sir, so I rescheduled my own appointment for a week sooner.

The week before Labor Day is typically the last week in August, except when it's not. August 31 is a Monday this year, meaning Labor Day is a full week into September on the 7th. I did not realize this at the time. So I had my dentist appointment a few days ago, the wife is taking the kids in a few days, and I have work this week. Mandatory Fun is next week.

In my defense, it's happening pretty late in the year.

No comments: