Monday, July 17, 2023

The app cheat

I use an app to track my workouts. The goal is to track what works and what doesn't, and how much weight I'm lifting. I use the same app to track my food intake, so it also has a calorie count for everything.

Wasn't my goal, but there it is.

Just keeping track of what I eat has had a strong impact on it. Being accountable - I want to eat half a cake, but I don't want to log it in the app. 

I use the stair climber at the gym. (I'm planning a mountain hike in the Adirondacks, so I adjusted my workout to that end). I log how long I was on it, and it also tells me how many calories I burned. Again, logging the calorie burn wasn't the goal, but there it was, and I found myself enjoying watching that number climb up as I went through my workout.

Then the numbers changed. 15 minutes on the stair climber used to burn X calories when I first started, but since then it's slowly gone down, one by one. Right now it's down by eleven, and while it was never my goal, I still feel cheated.

No comments: